Knowing the rules along with good strategy is a big part of poker success. Even though poker is less reliant on luck than other games of chance, you still need to keep the element of fortune in mind and keep track of your bankroll. Let’s analyze the main nuances that all players should remember.
The importance of a place at the table
when playing bitcoin online poker, beginners often focus only on their own hands, not taking into account the seat at the table. And yet, this is an important factor that directly affects the odds of winning. There are four groups of places to consider:
- Blinds. Two participants to the dealer’s left;
- UTG (Under the Gun). Two to the left of the curtains;
- MP (average player). Three to the left of UTG;
- Cut out. Two players to the dealer’s right.
The most favorable are considered MP and Cut-off places as most players have already made a decision, and you can estimate the chances of winning. The latter, in turn, is called “playing in position”. This means that he knows the actions of all opponents and has the most valuable information. This is the most profitable place.
The strengths and weaknesses of bluffing in live poker
If you properly mask your bluff, it will help you win in many situations. The objective is to convince opponents that there is a strong combination in their hands, forcing them to pass. It is essential to distinguish an intelligent bluff, which is not appropriate in all situations, from the strategy of the so-called maniacs. Beginners should not use this method until they have mastered the ground rules and relevant situations. It is worth taking into account the following:
- Rival actions. If the bet is answered by a raise, especially in the later stages, the opponent probably has a strong hand – it’s better to check;
- Position. The later the player’s turn, the more accurately you can assess the game’s progress and decide whether to bluff. Ideally, when the participant is last in line, everyone writes a check in front of him;
- Painting. The best situation is different suits and values out of order. That is, those who will only give one pair, two pairs or three;
Poker bluffs are risky, especially when there are a lot of good players at the table who are always looking for a showdown with strong cards. Another downside is that after several setbacks, experienced poker players quickly recognize the bluffer and change their strategy. It is less risky to use a half-bluff: when there is no ready combination, but there is a good chance of collecting it on the river. In this case, the raise is appropriate for two reasons: to provoke the opponent to fold or to win the pot in case of loss of the desired combination at the table. Also, this style will make opponents less suspicious.